Wind Up Dyno Radio

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey guys & gals, I'm getting a storm kit ready & I'm chasing a wind up dyno radio. Anyone got one, recommend one or give any advice on what to look for?

Cheers

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I won't be able to check the brand til tomorrow or so, but my Mum spends a year or so here in qld and a year in Florida / Louisiana, US. It's a long, boring story. Serious storms there, nasty floods n fire here. She keeps two places sorted. Not bad for a Toongabbie girl from the 50's.

She has half a dozen crank radios, can slect to charge the lamp/radio or the accessories, has USB charging, very bright LED light, a solid am/fm radio.

Have to go for a drive over the hills tomorrow to check on her SEQ place, will have a hunt and post the brand for you.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I got one from Aldi a few years back.... It works ok and has a torch and led lights built into the handle..but I never use it. I'm thinking that some sort of solar charging system might work out better and cover other items. I have a Ryobi one battery system that uses the same battery's to run radios, lights power tools and more..not for bush walking of course, just car camping and home backup.

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
what do want to power in strife? Lighting is easy...cheapo LED lamps and spots. Phones, notebooks etc you can charge with a cheap carcharger if you keep 10-20 l worth of fuel handy. A lot of affordable solar chargers are efficient enough for phones etc provided you can cut your googling back to an hour a day.

I mainly need solar for occasional cooking (panel cooker, oven bag, etc) and hot water (doubled garbags, also many spare metres of 20mm black poly). I've salvaged drive motors from old dvd players before. Simple alum vains, led to prevent backflow..windy spot up a hill...once I recharged ,my phone in nearly less than six hrs. Afterwards it nearly lived for an hour :p was during the big floods couple years ago.

Maybe look into converter chargers. Slot in a couple AA's and wait. Keep an eye out for batteries at reduced places...works for us.

nifty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I purchased one of these radios last year from Ebay for 20 bucks. Been in my pack or car on the dash charging by solar. Use it all the time. Best buy for 20 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable...170504561371?pt=AU_Radios&hash=item27b2dd22db

Cranking Dynamo & Solar Power Supply

Ø Red LED Light (Flashes) & Alarm Function

Ø Flashlight with 3 White LED Lights

Ø Cell Phone, MP3 & MP4 Charging Jack (Standard USB Jack)

Ø External Adaptor Jack (Mini USB 5 Pin Jack)

Ø Built -in Speaker

Ø Earphone Jack (D : 3.5mm)

Ø Power Sources : Ni-MH Battery, 3 x AAA Alkaline Batteries or Solar Power

Ø Charged by : Cranking Dynamo, External Adaptor, Computer or Solar Power

FM

87 ~ 108 MHz

MEDIUM WAVE

552 ~ 1620 KHz

SW

5.80 ~ 10.00MHz

SW 2

11.60 ~ 18.20 MHz

Features

Ø Noise Limit Sensitivity

FM <5uV

MW <2.5mv/m

SW< 50Uv

Ø Signal Selection >40dB

Ø Max. Output Power : about 100mW

Ø Max. Volume Output Current : about 120mA

Ø Spearker : D50mm

Ø Radio size : 133 x 62 x 47mm

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Benny, I'd suggest a radio with a replaceable batteries, solar as well as dynamo action, like nifty's.

The problem is that in an emergency, you don't want to discover that the batteries are flat, or you can't find the charger / spares.

Although the crank will power the radio, in general its not really a sustainable thing to do for hours on end, so you really need something which can charge itself - like solar.
Having the option for disposable batteries is good, as long as you actually have them to hand, when needed.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks all. It will (maybe) be used for power outtages during storms/cyclones. No we don't get many, if any, cyclones here but for the sake of a few bucks you can remain in touch with the big picture if radio updates are being put out.

The solar/dyno/batt option is definetly the way to go. I recon $20 Ebay jigga Nifty put up is worth a shot.

Thanks again.