BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wool blanket source

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Wave man on SAturday we picked up 3 all wool austarlian made double blankets a $1 each at vinnies they would need dying and possible cuitting down. A few small hole around the edges nothing bad, we got for the dogs but you might do well from vinnies .

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Ive been looking for wool blankets for a while now. I was visiting my mother the other day and mentioned it. Turns out she had quite a few of them. So I got a couple off her. I dont know if its the right wording, but my grandfather worked building railway tracks many a year ago and was given 'railway blankets' whilst camping out. These blankets are 100% wool with orange stripes through them. They are thick, warm and scratchy. Not sure if thats what they are really called. Does any one know if that was the real name of them?
Anyway back in the old days wool blankets were everywhere. So maybe if you go to the older generation of your family they might have some and be more than willing to part with one or two

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
The name will reflect the "owner" so if he was in the railway = Railway blankets fits... it's like the Army Blankets, they only have that name because the Army uses them...

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
OK. Thanks for that. I couldnt be sure cause hes passed away now and I never got to ask him. Or about a lot of other things back in that era that could be of much intrest to us now

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Some "Army " blankets are better than others, at times sleeping warm was less of a priority than longevity, the old grey army blankets from WW1 are terrible, hard and they scratch, the US style Vietnam issue wool/nylon tropicals are quite good, but if you can afford a new one buy a good quality new one, in 50 years time you will not have any regrets.
At our local Op-Shops good second hand blankets are between $20- and $40- dollars each but from the "Dog-blanket" box, only a dollar or two. I got one last month for a dollar, shrunk to almost 50mm thick, I don't know what I'm going to do with it but I can't resist a bargain

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Ash do a wash in a good wool softner add 1 or 2 drops of eucalyptus oil this should help the scrathy feel

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks auscraft. I'll give that a go. Cheers

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Or TX -10, the NikWax product, but not both; the treatments are incompatible.
Fabric softeners work by allowing the treated fabric to absorb water so may not be the best treatment for cold wet weather, in the old days ( 1930to 1960s ) we used wool fat/lanolin and petrol /Shellite as a treatment, just don't smoke while treating the blankets and avoid flames and fire until really really dry and well aired

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I'll make another recommendation to check your local op-shops. I just picked up two double-bed sized 100% wool blankets, almost new condition, for $5 each at the local Vinnies.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have found a source (ebay seller, American based) of blended wool blankets, cost for the blanket is reasonable (under $10) tho the shipping is around $20, still not a bad price for a quality product.

Size: 60" Wide x 80" Long
Blend: 65% Wool, 35% Polyester
Weight: 2 Lbs.
Color: Grey

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220699219947&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

No disrespect meant, but it's a sad state of affairs when we here in Oz have to buy wool blankets from overseas aint it?

Bill A.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Apart from dogs, what use are you (each) going to put the blankets to ?

I have a couple which generally live in the back of the car (although they come out when we pack for camping etc), they are for a just in case situation.
Being wool they don't get crushed (like a sleeping bag) and can be used to sit on or wrap aroung you etc. They are also easy to wash (as opposed to sleeping bags) and are hard wearing.

In summer we try and make a point of keeping them in the car, along with some woolen clothing -for fire protection.

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
No disrespect meant, but it's a sad state of affairs when we here in Oz have to buy wool blankets from overseas aint it?

Bill A.

A search for vintage wool blanket on eBay Australia will normally result in some good quality 100% wool blankets, often for $10 or less (plus postage of course). I've found some good quality blankets in the past this way and prefer them over the military issue blankets which I have purchased from eBay UK and eBay US.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yeah I have also found through my work within the Ambulance industry that wool is preferable for those that may have allergies to various synthetics.

I just cant help but be a bit dismayed that there was once a time when Australia was the wool capital of the world, and now we're talking about buying from O/S.
Just a bit saddened should it come to that. You'd think we'd have so many wool products we'd be giving the things away.

Bill A.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Now that winter is over I am seeing plenty of woolen blankets in our local Op-Shops, priced between $10- and $35- depending on quality and size. This is a fair price for something to play with and experiment with making coats and bush-shirts.

If I ever get to go the the USA and Caanada for winter I will spend the extra money and buy a new Merino or Merino/ Cashmere blend blanket to make the shirt with, economy is going to be my second priority in minus 40C.
We still make wonderful quality woolen blankets here, we just still have expectations of cheap prices for woolen goods, that is unrealistic where the raw material is fetching $1200 or more a bale for reasonable quality fiber.

We have stopped buying wool because it is; simply put; a luxury product for some people.
There are those who do not do a simple cost /benefit analysis of a product and buy on price and fashion alone and those who simply do not earn enough money to be able to buy quality products that will last 20 years.
Wool manufacturers were also so highly protected for so long that in some cases they did not keep re-investing in modern machinery and with no government assistance or tax breaks they simply became non-competitive.

Super-fine and Ultra-fine wools are serious competitors for artificial fibers, standard wools simply are not

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have another source off ebay for top of the line new 100% alpaca wool blankets(alpaca wool is even better then sheeps wool for all accounts), tho the cheapest one is around $100including post from America.(twin size, 90"x70"), I may have to say bugger it and buy one of these great blankets.