BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wool blanket source

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Thats not bad,

I'll be interested in a review when you get it, perhaps a before and after use kind of thing may be good.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here is a series(3 part) vid explaining the differences between various blanket types, and their usefulness in a BC application.
[video=youtube;BYNvT1Ffn7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNvT1Ffn7M&feature=feedrec[/video]

[video=youtube;TcvMGFJpq1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcvMGFJpq1Q&NR=1[/video]

[video=youtube;2VB6MnESdY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VB6MnESdY8&feature=related[/video]

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Interesting videos.

Last edited:

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
When you take into consideration the high cost ( NEW ) of woolen balkets there is a lot of things in favour of the cheap polyester and actrylic pile blankets from China, and with Spring here all the stores are having massive sales of winter stock so you can purchase a brand new pile queen size blankets for less than the cost of an Op-Shop second hand one.
I'm not saying the cheap blankets are better, i'm just saying that they are a viable alternative especially if weight isn't a consideration.
I bought about a dozen some years ago for a week-end party when i knew I would be having extra overnite guests and they do offer a real alternative.

I still prefer wool but I have had no problems with mine at all

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Since a lot of people huddle near a campfire at night and often have blankets drapped over themselves, I suppose one often overlooked issue with non-wool blankets (nylon, acrylic, etc) for bush use is their combustibility - wool will smolder, not melt or ignite around a person. Also, wool will also keep you warm if it is wet - I don't know about the others in that regard.

(The eternal problem with a single fire, one side is warmed, the other side is chilled, sometimes it's like being on a rotisserie!)

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Polar Fleece & Polar Tech Clothing and Blankets also now come with a Fire Retardant version too, these products are all marked "FR" in their descriptions and have similar flame resitance to wool, as such they have been permited for use in high fire risk work places such as Oil & Gas rigs and even in military Armoured Fighting Vehicels and aircraft, traditionally only wool, cotton and Nomex were permited for such use.

Just something to keep an eye out for...

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Polar Fleece & Polar Tech Clothing and Blankets also now come with a Fire Retardant version too, these products are all marked "FR" in their descriptions and have similar flame resitance to wool, as such they have been permited for use in high fire risk work places such as Oil & Gas rigs and even in military Armoured Fighting Vehicels and aircraft, traditionally only wool, cotton and Nomex were permited for such use.

Now THAT'S something good to know! I really like "polar fleece" and such stuff for blankets and outer clothing but have avoided it for anything outdoorsy because melting or leaping into flames makes them very dangerous anywhere near a fire. If that problem has been eliminated then a whole new dimension of materials just opened up.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Never had a fleece garment catch fire, but I have lots of fleece garments with holes in them, while they will burn I do believe that the melting nylon or polyester sticking to the skin in a big fire is the problem, inteerstingly the Royal Navy of GB was ( and may be still is ) still using polypropylene underwear, apparently PP debrides from a burn wound very easily.
Royal navy used to use Brynje mesh underwear, which is PP; actually for a while so did the Australian Navy.
I do think the risks are highly exagerated in the "Bushcraft" setting.
Contrary to popular belief wool can and does burn, remember the photos of the sheep after the bushfires?? it is just that wool fibre is factory treated at the spinning stage these days, I can remember the demonstrations run by the CSIRO at the Royal melbourne Show back in the early 60s that were a vivid and violent demonstration of this

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief wool can and does burn, remember the photos of the sheep after the bushfires??
too true, tho wool is "fire retardant" and tends to smolder rather then burst into flames(like other materials). Fire services issue wool blankets for this reason. But as you say most things will burn if you give it enough heat.
The true advantage wool has is the warmth factor that it retains when wet.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
One of the things we used to do when I first started bushwalking was to lanonlize old army woolen pants to make them more waterproof, what I did not know at the time was that the extra lanolin made them more prone to catching fire.
I do not know about the other states but CFA blankets have extra flame and fire retardent treatment, they are not "just" woolen blankets

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
another advantage to the alpaca wool blanket, they contain no lanolin (making them hypoallergenic and from what you are saying that would make them less susceptible to burning.) Looks like alpaca is a "magic fiber"...LoL

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just an update on the alpaca wool blankets, they are a alpaca wool blend, not 100% alpaca like I thought(I was going on the description on Ebay) my blanket is actually 53%alpaca wool, 37%sheep's wool and 10%cotton.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I just scored a second hand(?) wool blanket for $5, I went from having no wool blankets to having 2....LoL

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah karl I am watching them carefully, it's funny how you can go from not being able to find one to seeing something everywhere you turn....LoL