BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wool blanket source

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Today I picked up two very New looking Polish Army 100% wool blankets for $30 each thick soft and grey in colour. Normally $40 each if you only buy 1 at a time

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
How thick are they mate? I know thats a subjective question, and where did you get them from.
In my swags i have 2 wool invicta army blankets that were my dads from his bed as a kid. They didnt have 2 bob so they got them second hand to start with. The mean a lot to me but i have to say they are pretty thin these days so i'm looking for a thick one.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Got them fom the disposals at Gympie
they measure 200 x 140 and I put a set of calipers to them and 5mm was pressing the fabric in

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Pure wool is a solid idea if you're in bushfire country - that's the bit between New Guinea and Antartica. :p

Have found some quality pure wool blankets from red cross and salvo stores, one had a little hole in one corner, the rest have always been fine. My oldies found a forgotten box of 70s vintage pure new wool ones, snaffled a few. Love em.

A mate made me green with envy a few years back, we were in the market for cheap swags. I got gipped on a real one, he went to the opshop. Super thick pure wool forest green blanket, for a few bucks, two crappy canvas pool chairs for a couple bucks each, in brown,two or three leather belts and a zip up pillowcase.

Yep. Went home, sized and folded the blanket. Cut both lengths of canvas out of the chairs, treated it and hemmed one by a few inches all round for overlap, threw it all together like a great big sausage roll and on went the belts... I was fuming, it looked great and did a good job too :D
Smug looking b@stard...

Chiff

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Ash do a wash in a good wool softner add 1 or 2 drops of eucalyptus oil this should help the scrathy feel
A good wool wash will do the trick and make sure you wash Wool in Warm water Not Cold water. Smiles. Makes a Huge difference to the Wool.

Hope that helps ya out.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
just an update on the alpaca wool blankets, they are a alpaca wool blend, not 100% alpaca like I thought(I was going on the description on Ebay) my blanket is actually 53%alpaca wool, 37%sheep's wool and 10%cotton.

Got an update on the Alpaca blanket mate?

ErichFromm

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Not sure if people are still looking for 100% wool blankets, but I've picked up two "Nato/German Army" blankets off ebay for $40 (no one else bid, which surprised me). I've done my research and they are the thickest wool blankets you can get (at least twice as thick as the tartan ones my aunt has from "olden times"). Really thick and quite massive - I think 200cm x 130cm, grey with a couple white stripes (if you do a google search some guy in NSW reupholstered his armchairs with a couple of them). Really good quality and they feel almost new.

Anyway - worth a look on ebay. I'd post a link but not sure if that would break the forum rules.

ErichFromm

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Just did an ebay search and the same place is still stocking them: "Bundes Eigentum" and the seller is Tooles disposals. Currently listed at $60.

Again - best quality wool blanket I've seen (although a little musty smelling). And not as rough as it looks....

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
In case you haven't seen Blake's recent post, the BushcraftOz store now has 100% wool Czech military blankets for $40. I got one last week. It's big, heavy and woolly as you might expect!

Used it under my sleeping bag in my hammock on Saturday night in the backyard - I'm testing insulation options. It kept my backside nice and warm, but it's not a light weight hiking item.

AusTac

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I've seen them around the second hand outdoors shops like aussie d's here in Melbourne, if your after one in retail try just before summer, people snap them up for fire season

oldigger

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I think the Italian surplus 100% wool blankets are probably the best you can get. They are larger than most (84" X 64") and are heavy (6 pounds). This is because they are thick and tightly woven (like felt) and not only warm, but also water resistant. I left one airing on my clothesline (the new ones stink of moth proofing) and it rained heavily all night. The next day, the blanket was wet on the side exposed to the wind and rain and virtually dry on the inside (part of it was horizontal, because I'd strung it over two lines).
Such gear could be a lifesaver! They are as scarce as hens' teeth in the USA, but Aussie Disposals sells them (they won't sell them online any more for some reason - I bought my first one from them) and you can get them online from Kiwi Disposals (that's where I bought my second). Both sell them for $49 (new) plus postage. They are not to be confused with the Rothco "Italian Surplus Style" blankets, which are simply a blend of wool and (unspecified) man made fibres.
Happy hunting!

Sasquatch

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hello All

Resurrecting an old thread here. I'm looking for a good quality wool blanket for a camping/bugout bag setup. I've been ringing around and not finding much in Sydney. Parramatta surplus as Aussie Army wool blankets but no tags. Any Idea if these are a blend or 100% wool? Thank you for any help

Cheers