BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

working with micro flint shards and amadou, flint and steel

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
char cloth would never hold up to this sort of advanced flint and steel use as it would fall apart because it is too fragile.

Amadou is like leather and quite robust and is tough so can be used to do this sort of experimentation.

If you really want to see a truly minuscule piece of flint producing an ember watch the video on this link (it's the second vid down) Mark is a true master at flint and steel and I have learnt a lot from watching him work.

https://www.beaverbushcraft.co.uk/o...Traditional-Flint-Steel-Tinderbox-853040.html

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW ... that's too small .... a few decades back my sister would have loved a Bushcraft Barbie Flint and Steel set, especially if there was a pink one !

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
some of my petrified wood is pinkish, the strikers will be steel coloured.

here's what I was working with

ZPaa7s7.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
this was a fun exercise, stretching my skills and testing my abilities to the maximum.

In truth no one would be silly enough to rely on such a small flint and steel kit out in the bush.

I know I wouldn't, it's just not reliable and why would you make it so hard on your self.

That is why I often shake my head at people when I see them using small pieces of flint (like thumb nail size) and say they prefer such pieces, to me that makes no sense.

I like flints fist size, that way you can spall them when they get blunt, and they last so much longer anyway. Small pieces do not. Plus you can easy blunt out a small piece in one session, no matter your skill level. A fist size piece will take many sessions of use to blunt out.

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Banged the shovel on some quartz while digging and got a
Good bunch of sparks today .
No idea what kind of steel the shovel is .
If one were so inclined could add char cloth to a hole . That would be interesting .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
shovels often spark, I too am not sure what they make them out of but it would have to be some kind of high carbon steel to spark.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Re being able to hold the small flint. Have you considered a split twig holder like a variation of the
Native American Hoko knife?

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have wondered what other common items could be used to spark , like when on train tracks seeing the old spikes and bolts if you were out wandering , or if a fence star picket could do the job .
Shoveling blue stone can spark too .
the quartz here gives a pretty good little spark shower .

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
If I was into the flint and steel and blacksmithing , I reckon I’d give high carbon steel striker belt buckles a go , then sell them to all the bushcrafters , so they don’t get caught cold with their pants down .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have wondered what other common items could be used to spark , like when on train tracks seeing the old spikes and bolts if you were out wandering , or if a fence star picket could do the job .
Shoveling blue stone can spark too .
the quartz here gives a pretty good little spark shower .
lots of everyday items will spark, as long as they are high carbon steel and sufficiently hard. I've seen videos of a bloke using various tools and personally tried a few things.
The variety of stones is amazing, just about anything over Moh's 5.5 (the hardness of the steel) will allow you to drive sparks off if it fractures like flint and develops the sharp edge to drive sparks from.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
If I was into the flint and steel and blacksmithing , I reckon I’d give high carbon steel striker belt buckles a go , then sell them to all the bushcrafters , so they don’t get caught cold with their pants down .
they are a popular item, they pop up on Etsy from time to time

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/2181499807962314/

the other one is the cloak or blanket pin striker
https://emberlit.com/collections/em...products/emberlit-flint-and-steel-blanket-pin