Yabbies

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
never heard the name before AFCQ but I've heard fishos call beach ones yabbies before.

Up in the Straits we used to eat these weird looking buggers called mantis shrimp, forget the island name now... Pretty tasty. Easy to catch because they were silly enough to live in obvious little tunnels. Sharp mantis like arms on them though.

The Bald Man

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
My yabby trap I made camping with the kids. The kids thought I was mad till we caught some haha.
yabby pot.jpg
Made with vines and grass.

The Bald Man

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Mate I just used some vine and long grass, I found on the edge of the creek and made a basic ball type shape. The grass just slows their escape. I just use my imagination, rockmelon is a great bait.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have heard that yabbies prefer vegetable baits over meat baits. They will take either but prefer the veges. The other advantage is a piece of potato or whatever doesn't stink like a rank piece of meat. I usually spice it up and set a couple with potato and a couple with a tin of cat food or tuna. Failing that any scrap of food will work.

I have at times managed to catch them by hand when the water is crystal clear like deep up in the rainforest areas. Just takes a bit of patience to sneak up behind them and grab them.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
I have heard that yabbies prefer vegetable baits over meat baits. They will take either but prefer the veges. The other advantage is a piece of potato or whatever doesn't stink like a rank piece of meat. I usually spice it up and set a couple with potato and a couple with a tin of cat food or tuna. Failing that any scrap of food will work.
I have used potato with good results. Soap also works well and for small freshwater shrip for bait soap is the best. The sausage type dog food is what i found works best, its solid enough to stay together in the water and is already stinky.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Bald man. Great stuff. Will be trying that for sure!

I have used potato with good results. Soap also works well and for small freshwater shrip for bait soap is the best. The sausage type dog food is what i found works best, its solid enough to stay together in the water and is already stinky.
Never tried potato myself. Ive tried soap and had reasonable results. Only tried canned dog food with a few holes punched in it. (works for blue swimmers in witches hat nets) I tend to get the best catch on yabbies with a piece of cheep beef of cuts. My father and I used to go crabbing as much as fishing almost and our top bait was mullet. One mullet does 3 traps. Tail, middle and head. Would like to try fish for yabbies. Anyone used carp? God knows I can get a hold of them pretty easy! Went fishing a few times over the Christmas break and the tally is 1 trout, 2 redfin and god knows how many carp. Ive just been throwing them to the pelicans. Yes pelicans in Mudgee!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Anyone know what the rules are about taking yabbies out of national parks. Also am I likely to mess up the ecosystem of a creek by removing a few of them for a feed. I've seen heaps of em big and small but not sure about the right thing to do.

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they would be classed as protected in a national park. Have you checked the national parks website?

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
As far as I know, check with the authorities, general disclaimer, etc............. It is OK to take marine species from waterways in National Parks. For instance the Cooloola National Park pretty much contains all of the upper reaches of the Noosa River and is one of the best wild Australian Bass fisheries around. It is perfectly OK to fish for them within the National Park. I think the side of looking after the marine wildlife is handled by Marine Parks and its legislation. As long as you aren't in a green zone or equivalent and you are abiding by any fishing laws you should be right. I don't know the NSW laws but they should be pretty much the same.

As far as messing up the ecosystem, I think that is a decision you need to make for yourself, but if you only take enough for personal use and the place isn't getting a flogging by every other man and his dog I don't see any issue.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Strange, I asked a ranger a few months back while in national park in QLD if you're allowed to catch yabbies and the answer was you aren't allowed to catch anything, fish included. I don't know if that extends to redclaw as well, but they definitely didn't want any traps in the water.

Could have just been saying that because we were in platypus habitat, but I do also know that you are not allowed to interfere with other types of native wildlife, even on your own land, in QLD.

That being said, i've never seen any "no fishing" signs in a NP before.

P.S. make sure if you are taking yabbies it's only the common variety and nothing like the Lamington Spiny Cray etc.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Strange, I asked a ranger a few months back while in national park in QLD if you're allowed to catch yabbies and the answer was you aren't allowed to catch anything, fish included. I don't know if that extends to redclaw as well, but they definitely didn't want any traps in the water.

Could have just been saying that because we were in platypus habitat, but I do also know that you are not allowed to interfere with other types of native wildlife, even on your own land, in QLD.

That being said, i've never seen any "no fishing" signs in a NP before.

P.S. make sure if you are taking yabbies it's only the common variety and nothing like the Lamington Spiny Cray etc.
Thanks AP, I've heard similar things in N.S.W also. But not from an actual ranger.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I didnt think you could catch them either!

not that this person cared!
minerva1.jpg

Since your local, you would prob know Minerva Pond Phrayzar.

See the two float markers?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Since your local, you would prob know Minerva Pond Phrayzar.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know it Mossie, lovely spot down there.